[CT Birds] 1,419 raptors Boothe Park HW

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Mon Sep 20 18:59:53 EDT 2010

To be honest it was a terrible start to the day at Boothe Park in Stratford. With the nice flow behind the cold front and winds enhanced by Igor creating a better gradient and other amazing raptor reports we had next to nothing. The blue sky, 100% clear, hurt as well. All of the observers had other obligations today, including myself, and no one was present from 1:30 to 2:15. When I returned at 2:15 I noted more raptors coming in, and unfortunately, I was alone through 5:30. I had the best hour in the site's short history from 3-4 when the Broads finally descended. Whether they were too high all day, too far to the coast (I noticed more of a westerly component this afternoon) or both, they came in fast. I had about 500 raptors from 3:30-3:45 alone with one ~415 Broad group. Overall, we put in 8.75 hours of observation. Other observers included Charlie Barnard, Frank Mantlik, John Marshall, and Dave Fiske. Tomorrow should be much of the same, a SW flow Wednesday with a weak cold front going through, a good Thursday, a so-so Friday and maybe a good Saturday after a cold front Friday night that may stall just south of our area that we'll have to monitor.

Raptor migrants:
2 Turkey Vulture
12 Osprey
5 Bald Eagle
1 Northern Harrier
102 Sharp-shinned Hawk
10 Cooper's Hawk
1,254 Broad-winged Hawk
1 Red-tailed Hawk
19 American Kestrel
2 Merlin
2 Peregrine Falcon
1 Unknown accipiter
8 Unknown raptor
TOTAL - 1,419

And even more "local" Osprey, Red-tail, Red-shoulder, and Turkey Vulture.

We had two notable resident species in the form of 1 COMMON RAVEN attacking a Bald Eagle and 3 BLACK VULTURE.

Other migrants:
1 Palm Warbler
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler
1 Magnolia Warbler