[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - 2000+ Broadwings etc

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Mon Sep 20 20:12:28 EDT 2010

 Hi All,

A decent start to the day didn't quite pan out for late afternoon numbers of Broad-winged Hawks - weird to have 2000 hawks and feel a little disappointed. Surprised no one else seems to be mentioning much about last nights flight. Audubon Greenwich was absolutely littered with warblers this morning and even though variety was somewhat poor numbers were pretty impressive. I literally had roving parties of Chestnut-sideds, Magnolias, Blackburnians, REV's (including 8 in one small Japanese Maple). In total 12 species of warbler. What was notable was the influx of later fall migrants including a number of Blue-headed Vireos and Ruby-crowned Kinglets as well as a smattering of White-throated Sparrows and a Yellow-rumped Warbler or two. Also notable was the decline in American Redstarts and other early migrants in the mix- just one or two today. Good numbers were still moving through later in the day when I had already packed it in and headed for the hawkwatch. Also overhead today and around the grounds quite a number of Red-breasted Nuthatches and Purple Finches. At the weekend we had our first Dark-eyed Junco of the year - it's getting late early it seems!

Luke Tiller, Greenwich