[CT Birds] Window crash- too close

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Tue Sep 21 11:19:14 EDT 2010

 That is definitely better than leaving the bird unprotected. The reason I recommend containing the bird indoors is the weather issue. Extreme heat or cold cannot be managed by a stunned bird and can worsen the bird's issue hence the reason I recommend bring the bird indoors.   If the strike is directly to the head the bird should be placed in a slightly cool temp to reduce swelling. If  it is very cold, birds with head trauma cannot regulate their body temp and would need to be kept reasonably warm.

The reason for the shoebox is to reduce visuals. If the bird can see freedom it will do everything in it's power to get to it whether it is fully capable or not. Putting them in a small dark enclosure allows the bird to just rest.

Also keep in mind if handled immediately after impact they are too disorientated to be stressed by being picked up.

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT