[CT Birds] Fwd: last two canoe tours of season at Milford Point

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Tue Sep 21 21:45:31 EDT 2010

Hi Folks,

We're wrapping up the canoeing season with two last tours through the lovely 840-acre Wheeler Salt Marsh. We still have a few canoes available for this Saturday, including a couple we've saved for participants of the Stratford Birding Festival (check out our blog for more info on the festivalhttp://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/). If you've been meaning to join us, now is the time. The marsh if beautiful, and the birding has been quite enjoyable on these trips: Yellow-crowned Night-Herons are seen on every tour, and now is a good time to see migrating raptors while we paddle. The weather looks beautiful this weekend, so we hope you can join us. Please call ASAP at 203-878-7440 to reserve spaces.

Family Canoe Tours of Wheeler Salt Marsh Led by CAS Guides
Join us on a guided canoe tour of the Charles Wheeler Salt Marsh. Steeped in local history, the Marsh offers an abundance of birds and other wildlife, beautiful vistas and a chance to paddle and relax. Bring water and wear shoes that can get wet. Contact the Coastal Center for more information. Trip routes are subject to change due to weather. Wind may cause trips to be canceled, even on sunny days; please call 1 hour to 90 minutes in advance for trip status. Advance registration required. Sign up early for these popular tours! Inquire about additional tour dates in October.
Canoe Trips Schedule:
Sat., Sept. 25, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
Sun., Oct. 24, 11:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m. (Special Fall Foliage Tour – last of season)
Fees using our canoes:
CAS Members: $25/person, $65/canoe (up to 3 people); Non-members: $35/person, $95/canoe.
Fees using your own canoe or kayak: $19 CAS Members, $29 Non-members.

... again, these are the last Charles Island tours of the season.  Last week's trip turned up a Common Eider and a Green-winged teal off the Tombolo to the island!

Charles Island Explorations
Thurs., Sept. 23, 5 p.m.
Tues., Oct. 12, 8:30 a.m.
Discover the natural history and folklore that make this island the “treasure” of Milford. Wear comfortable shoes that can get wet as we hike the 3/4-mile tombolo out to the island. Sign up early for this popular program. Advance registration only at  203-878-7440. Directions provided; hat, water, sunscreen & snack recommended. Fee: $10/Adult, $6/Child for CAS Members; $15/Adult; $10/Child Non-Members; 5/Senior

Special Event: "Migration Madness!"
A Fundraising Walk on Sat., Oct. 16, noon- 4 p.m. (rain date Oct. 17)

To celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Connecticut Audubon Society Coastal Center, on October 16th from noon until 4:00 pm, we are bringing back our very first fundraiser, Migration Madness. This is a fun-filled event for the whole family.  Participants will dress as birds or Monarch butterflies, and collect pledges for their 1.5-mile migration from Walnut Beach to the Coastal Center at one Milford Point Road. Anyone can walk and you're encouraged to dress up as your favorite bird. There will be snacks, crafts, prizes, and a live bird demonstration. To obtain pledge forms, go to the Coastal Center section of our webpage at www.ctaudubon.org, or call the Coastal Center at 203-878-7440.  Help support our education and conservation mission by migrating with us to the Coastal Center. Thanks from the Coastal Center team, Amy, Amanda, Louise and Frank.