[CT Birds] Watrous Park, Cromwell

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Thu Sep 23 18:37:55 EDT 2010

Regarding post-breeding season singing among (some) North American wood
warblers:  I have observed the same thing among some other warbler species,
including Prairie Warbler and Common Yellowthroat.  Both these species were
singing in the last week of August or even the first week of September.
Both species were singing in locations where they had nested earlier in the
nesting season, but I was not sure if these specific individuals had been
nesters at those sites or if they were just migrant birds who happened to  be
singing at sites which had the habitat type associated with  these species.
It may be the former. In the link below, an experiment is described which
took place in New Hampshire with Black-throated Blue Warbler. Apparently,
this  species (and no doubt others) is likely to sing on territory during the
post-breeding season if it has been successful in fledging young.    There
is a correlation between success and post-breeding singing on territory.  I
don't mean to extrapolate too much from it, but it seems like it could
apply to other species.
Charlie Barnard Jr.
Stratford, CT