[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 23 19:58:56 EDT 2010

Here's a very unofficial answer.  A couple years ago, the New Haven Parks Department was granted permission to charge entry fees anytime they wanted.  Of course, it costs the City to staff the entrance booths, and usually, there is no one there on weekdays after Labor Day.  September 23 is a very unusual date to be charging admission.
As for weekends, there are many walk-athons on weekends and it is unlikely that they charge, even then.  I would suggest you park outside and walk in, or simply tell them you are here for the Hawk Watch.  They have previously let you right through withoutrequesting the fee.
The Hawk Watch has two more months left to go.  In a few days we'll start to see visitors from several other NE hawk watches (where things are winding down).  In spite of that phenomenal day on Monday, peak is around Columbus day weekend.
The gate may be locked early mornings, late in the season, but I can't imagine there will be many days where fees will be charged.  'Just my opinion.
Steve Mayo