[CT Birds] Northern Wheatear and Lark Sparrow Thanks

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Thu Sep 23 21:01:48 EDT 2010

 Hi All,

It's not often that I get to add birds to my Allen's Meadows list - let alone two in one day! Thanks and congrats to Matt Hoyt for starting the ball rolling and Tina Green, Mike Warner and Penny Solum for picking out the bonus rarity. Amusingly (now) I had missed the Lark Sparrow that Joe Bear had there a few years back. He called me about it and I was down there not ten miuntes later to discover that the dirt mounds he had seen it in were now being marauded through by small children. Added to the relocation difficulty was a bumper crop of Vesper Sparrows (rarely have I been annoyed by that particular bird) there on the day. Anyway it felt nice to claw that particular species back almost as much as it was to get to see a Wheatear. It seems like there were another couple of nice species around today as well - but maybe more on that from others. Proof though that Allen's continues to be one of the premier fall migrant spots in the state. I've now seen 15 species of sparrow there (not including Junco or Towhee), next rarity Golden-crowned or Henslow's please!

Luke Tiller, Greenwich (ex Wilton!)