[CT Birds] winter finches

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Thu Sep 23 21:14:23 EDT 2010

My guess is don't bother checking Sherwood Island State Park anytime in the future for winter finches, and others since most their food foraging habitat no longer exist.
In a recent walk around the Spruce Forest area, most of these trees are now covered  from the bottom to top with invasive vines, and in most cases it is impossible to tell that these trees were once evergreens, they are all dying if not dead.
There is very little live top left on any of these trees, I think I could count the number of live cones on one hand.
Volunteer help was offered to save these trees last year, I guess saving this area was never the intent of the Park Managers.
Sad.

Larry Flynn