[CT Birds] WT Kite continues/Cuckoo photos

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Fri Sep 24 00:45:04 EDT 2010

The White-tailed Kite continued tonight at Stratford Point.

It was fantastic to see the CONNECTICUT WARBLER and YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO today at Birdcraft (directions/info - http://www.ctaudubon.org/visit/birdcraft.htm). I spotted the Connecticut about a minute after I returned to the sanctuary while speaking to Tina. It was skulking, as expected, in the leaf litter next to the path to the pond bridge. We only saw it briefly, but got a very close and excellent look. We could not relocate it for further looks or photos. The cuckoo was notable for being so out in the open, providing nice looks as it fed around the pond. I took a couple decent cuckoo pictures I just put up on the CAS blog: http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/

Congrats to everyone involved in the Lark Sparrow and Northern Wheatear sightings (and maybe more?). This has been the year of the picnic table effect. Keep the hits coming! Additionally, the odd pattern of cold fronts passing by, stalling just to our south, and coming back as warm fronts over CT may help us land a few more birds like today.

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society
2325 Burr St.