[CT Birds] WINTER FINCH FORECAST 2010-2011

Craig Repasz crepasz at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 24 09:08:26 EDT 2010

Having spent time hiking in the White Mountains and Green Mountains this summer and fall I can anecdotally support this forecast. There are no cones for the balsams and spruces, there are very few catkins and hardly any mountain ash berries in these areas. I would suspect that the bird activity this winter in northern New England will be very slow.Because there is no food in this corridorto our north I would be surprised to see anything interrupting into CT. It could pick up next year but a big mast year could take place in two or three years.