[CT Birds] Hartford Audubon Society bird walks this weekend

Zagorski, Sara szagorski at daypitney.com
Fri Sep 24 10:09:58 EDT 2010

Mention has been made about what great birding spots the West Hartford
Powerlines on Rt. 44 and Great Pond in Simsbury are. This weekend there
are Hartford Audubon Society bird walks scheduled at these places, as
well as a walk in Portland on Sunday. All are free and open to the
public. For more information about the Hartford Audubon Society, see
their website: http://www.hartfordaudubon.org/

Route 44 Power Lines, West Hartford
An early fall bird walk in search of lingering warblers, vireos and
flycatchers. We will also be on the lookout for migrant sparrows and
hawks. The shrub land habitat along the power lines can produce a
variety of birds including many hard-to-find species. Meet at the Route
44 parking lot (diagonally across the street from the entrance to
Reservoir 6) near the power lines at 7:00 AM.
Leader: Brian Toal
Great Pond, Simsbury
This walk never fails to get good birds. We have birded the pond for
many years. If you haven't been there, we would like you to please join
us. If you have been there, come on back and enjoy. Even if we don't see
much, we plan on having a great time, and the company is excellent.
Great Pond is a neat place and a beautiful state forest. Meet at the
parking lot off Great Pond Rd at 8:00 AM.
Leaders: Roger Preston 860-658-5010 or rapreston at snet.net and Jon
Wangunk Meadows, Portland
We will take a walk along the Connecticut River past fields and through
wooded trails. This trip will require a lot of walking. We expect to see
a mix of fall warblers, raptors, sparrows, herons and other assorted
species. On the last visit here, we saw a spectacle of several hundred
chickadees on Gildersleeve Island traveling down the Connecticut River.
Meet at Brownstone Intermediate School parking lot on 314 Main St in
Portland at 7:30 AM.
Leader: Larry Nichols 860-304-5240 or Lvn600 at hotmail.com

Sara Zagorski

This message contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for
the use of the addressee(s) named above.  Any disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the
information by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message.  Thank you.