[CT Birds] Westport Common Eider, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 24 23:17:07 EDT 2010

9/24 Westport, Compo Beach, 12:30 - 1:00 - During lunch, I watched a COMMON
EIDER, sleeping most of the time, drift with the sw wind to the NE towards
Sherwood Is. S.P.  This was a new work-list bird, # 252.

Westport, Longshore Park Woods (Waterside Terrace) - Gray-cheeked Thrush, flock
of 10 Red-eyed Vireos foraging together low along road.

Bridgeport, Johnson Creek (off Exit 30 I-95) - 53 Greater Yellowlegs, 2
Short-billed Dowitchers.

Stratford, Long Beach Blvd., Warehouse Pond - My first Dunlin of the season, 34
Great Egret, 3 Snowy Egret, 14 Green-winged Teal.  And a Lincoln's Sparrow along
the RR trail.

Stratford, Access Rd. pond - Wilson's Snipe.

Stratford, Short Beach Park, 5:30-6pm - 9 BLACK SKIMMERS (3 adult, 6 juv.)
continue, 1000 Laughing & 300 Ring-billed Gulls aerially hawking insects (winged
ants) over entire park, Stratford Point, Airport, etc.  WHITE-TAILED KITE seen
hunting over Stratford Point (among gull swarm)!

Frank Mantlik
Stratford