[CT Birds] Chester, 9/25: common yellowthroat

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sat Sep 25 18:50:56 EDT 2010

Chester, 9/25 - Beautiful look at a common yellowthroat visiting our birdbath this afternoon. One of those "if we hadn't looked right then, we never would've seen it" moments. It was eager for a bath (or drink), but overwhelmed by the enthusiastic chickadees and proprietary cardinals.
One thing that's missing this year: our dogwood berries. Is it just still too early, and I'm jumping the gun? Or has the overly warm weather and drought hit berry crops elsewhere? I fear for the robins and other thrushes that visit our yard every fall, pre-migration. There are no pickings to speak of!
- Tammy Eustis, Chester