[CT Birds] Little Blue Heron

weatherwizard at comcast.net weatherwizard at comcast.net
Mon Sep 27 07:36:16 EDT 2010

This morning at around 7AM for the first time in my yard I saw a little blue heron. I live on the Chester/Deep River line, and have a river with 3 waterfalls in my backyard. The main falls, barely trickling because of the lack of rainfall, always attracts Great Blue Herons, and cormorants, but it is the first time I ever saw a little blue heron here. He took a position for fishing atop the waterfalls. Since the area is rich with snakes, insects,turtles, and fish, it always attracts a wide variety of waterfowl. I'm not as up to speed as most on some of these things, but I do have a question. I have noticed the absence of all waterfowl from about May to mid-September here, but then, all of a sudden, around this time of year, they all come back, and I see them throughout the winter, and early spring. The ducks play in the waterfalls in the winer, but I never see even one in the summer, Mergansers come in the winter and early spring, as well as the above mentioned, but never in the summer. Any reason? My guess is they find an abundance of food elsewhere, and are busy breeding, but wanted to hear what others had to say.

Thanks,

Russ @ weatherwizard at comcast.net