[CT Birds] Orange backyard cafeteria

katz1449 at aol.com katz1449 at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 12:52:55 EDT 2010

9/27  Orange backyard

Since this past Friday (9/24), I have had a sharp shinned hawk making forays through my yard as if it is a cafeteria for the picking.  Friday it must have caught something because it was swift with a pouff of feathers behind it.  Sunday it went through and today it made a pass through
in the morning and again a few minutes ago.  The blue jays seem to announce its presence just seconds before I see it.  It chased something small (either a sparrow or house finch) around the yard, but the small bird managed to get shelter in a tree.
 So three times I have seen it hunt through my yard without getting something. I  just hope it doesn't pick off one of my more "favorite" yard birds, although I realize it does have to eat as well.
Bev Propen, Orange