[CT Birds] Coyotes and Wolves

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Sep 28 10:27:09 EDT 2010

A year or two ago we had a brief discussion of Coyotes on CTBirds. I pointed out at the time that the eastern Coyotes were larger than their western counterparts due to hybridization with Wolves in the east. An interesting (though cursory) article in the New York Times discusses this as well as the species remarkable adaptability and hybridization capabilities. There have been some (I must stress VERY few) incidents with humans in recent years as well. As the article points out, you are much more likely to be attacked by a domestic dog (or in my case bitten by a snake, happened Saturday in NH!) than a coyote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/science/28coyotes.html?_r=1

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.