[CT Birds] Coyotes and Wolves

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Sep 28 15:45:06 EDT 2010

Jay's points are well taken. It may seem unusual for anyone to leave food out for coyotes, but I do know someone who does, and considers it unkind not to do so. No amount of discussion has changed her mind, even warning her she was putting other people at risk. I expend a great deal of effort to camp cleanly in the backcountry to not attract bears or such, not just for my safety, but for the safety of others who will follow me. It can be surprising what people think is okay regarding wildlife. I once had to tell a tourist in northern New Hampshire to NOT walk up and touch the moose standing by the side of the road. She thought it looked "friendly." Of course her husband didn't think it was dangerous either. I've been charged by moose, they are magnificent, but I wouldn't ever describe one as "friendly." I'm sure Jay is preaching to the choir here.

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.