[CT Birds] Stratford W-T Kite, Am. Golden-Plover, swallow swarm, etc. 9/28

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 28 23:17:25 EDT 2010

9/28 Stratford.  Today I had the following highlights:

"Avco" Cove, tidal cove behind Deluca Ballfield, Main St. - 2 juv. BLACK
SKIMMERS, skimming.

Sikorsky Airport, East side (Main St.), 9am - a guestimated 80,000 Tree
Swallows.  I pulled over to witness the masses of swallows, and watched a large
prop plane coming in for a landing fly right through a flock.  Several birds
fell to the ground.  Plane-bird collisions can be dangerous; good thing they
weren't geese!

Seawatch from Cove Place, during strong S winds - not much doing except a few
Cormorants and Laughing Gulls, and 1 migrant Peregrine.

Stratford Point (10-11:30) - WHITE-TAILED KITE present 10-10:35 (mostly perched
in tree).  Five Peregrines, 4 of which were migrating, and 3 migrant Surf
Scoters, my first-of-season (w/ Twan Leenders).

end of Sniffen's Lane (Housatonic River and view of Milford Point) - 5
Peregrines (3 migrating), 2 Brant, lots of usual shorebirds, etc.

Short Beach Park - WHITE-TAILED KITE perched in bare tree behind tennis courts
(2:45-3pm at least).   190 Black-bellied Plover, 1 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER,  2
Red Knot, 20 Dunlin, 300 Sanderling, 20 Semipalmated Sandpiper, 1 S-B Dowitcher,
3 BLACK SKIMMERS ( 3:45 -4:30).

McKinney Refuge, Long Beach Blvd. - female Dark-eyed Junco (my first-of-season).

Long Beach (Oak Bluff Ave.) - 4 NELSON'S SPARROWS in Spartina marsh 50 yards
beyond end of parking lot.

Boothe Park, 5:30-5:45 - 400 Brown-headed Cowbird, 600 Eur. Starling, 8 Monk
Parakeet, 1 Budgerigar all feeding on grass lawn near cemetery.

Flocks of Tree Swallows were in the air everywhere all day, apparently feeding,
but many also appeared to be migrating.  Guestimate for entire day: perhaps
100,000.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford