[CT Birds] Laughing Gulls Galore

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 30 22:35:42 EDT 2010

9/30 Bridgeport, Seaside Park, 4:20 - 5:10 pm  - Masses of gulls roosting on
ballfields, lawns, and beaches during the strong southerly winds and high tide
of tropical storm Nicole included:  6000 Laughing Gulls (about 1/2
juvenile/1st-winter), 2500 Ring-billed Gulls, 400 Herring Gulls.  I scoured
through them as best I could for something unusual.  Amazingly I saw not a
single shorebird in the park.  Also a bit surprising were no terns, not even
Forster's, which is typically present later in the autumn than other species.
Afterwards, I visited Short Beach in Stratford, and there were 2 large flocks of
LAGUs, as noted by Tina Green in her earlier post.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford