[CT Birds] Bluff Point 10/3

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 3 11:51:35 EDT 2010

from Paul Desjardin and Glenn Williams:
10/3 - Groton, Bluff Point -- WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, 2 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS, 7 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, 2 PURPLE FINCHES, BROWN CREEPER, BROWN THRASHER.  300 warblers but only 6 species identified.

Best sightings from a date standpoint - WOOD THRUSH, YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, and WHITE-EYED VIREO.  Also had my FOS HERMIT THRUSH.

Poor light and strong blustery wind made for tough IDing.  Many birds went out very high and across a broader area than yesterday.  We weren't even able to positively ID a redstart or blackpoll though they were surely going through.  Yellow-rumps (~60) and Black-throated Blue (~15) were the most numerous warblers.  Also ~40 Golden-crowned Kinglets, good numbers of juncos, and several waves of migrating Blue Jays.

Glenn Williams
Mystic