[CT Birds] Id Help

William Young wcy888_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 18:26:01 EDT 2010

I was at a gas station, in South Glastonbury, this evening about 6:00 pm and heard a large collection of small song birds in a few smallish trees, about 30 feet high not too wide. There were at least 50 birds and with it being darkish I couldn't get a very good look they seemed to be about 5.5 to 6" with a white breast with brown or rusty flanks, one of the workers looked with me and he said they were greenish above, but I could not confirm this. I was pretty certain that they had a black or dark spot in the throat area, we thought house sparrow, but we both agreed they seemed smaller.. He said purple finch but I thought the breast was too white with no streaking..any thoughts..
Will Young