[CT Birds] Waterford yard: sapsucker, rb nuthatches

Sailcarm at aol.com Sailcarm at aol.com
Tue Oct 5 10:46:33 EDT 2010

Very active morning at my feeders.
Torn between watching our grandson on the webcam at his preschool
(sometimes I feel like Big Brother!) and observing a juv. yellow-bellied  sapsucker
in the crabapple tree near the feeders (8:30 AM), I am sorry  to admit that
I chose the bird!  But I was well rewarded: within a few  minutes I also had
2 red-breasted nuthatches and 2 towhees.  The  towhee sighting, although
not the first time, is a bit unusual for our  yard.  Actually I heard two but
saw only one going back and forth from the  apple tree to a rhododendron
bush to a large spruce, continually calling.   The sapsucker sighting is the
second one for the yard.
A very busy morning for chickadees, many more than I had this  summer, wb
nuthatches, and our usual numerous downy and red-bellied  woodpeckers.  At
one point I had all three woodpecker species in the same  bins view.  Neat!
Oops! Forgot to mention the red-shouldered hawk which I hear every day,
probably part of the family that nested in the back yard.  Had a redstart
last week, too.
Carolyn Cimino