[CT Birds] LHP 10/4 hawks in the rain

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 12:44:10 EDT 2010

>From Greg Hanisek

Oct 4 - New Haven, Lighthouse Point hawk watch - Despite showers all, day strong N to NE winds brought 596 diurnal raptors. During one of the longer bouts of rain 2 of us were sitting in our cars, side by side, one looking N and the other S. We used hand signals through the windows to show what we were seeing. I especially liked the 3-finger "K" for American Kestrel. As expected in the weather, Buteos were essentally absent. We had 271 SS, 117 Coop, 83 AK, 55 Osp, 24 NH, 19 Mer, 6 BE, 2 Per, 1 RT and assorted Unid.

We had a surprisingly heavy movement of warblers (Y-r and Palm primarily) throughout the morning, and less surprisingly a steady stream of Tree Swallows. Also seen: 6 C. Loons, one Ruby-throated Hummingbird, 11 Bobolinks and 7 Rusty Blackbirds.