[CT Birds] W-T Kite yes, plus Nelson's Sparrow

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Tue Oct 5 15:48:24 EDT 2010

Miley Bull told me that the White-tailed Kite had been hunting the former
gun club property in Stratford this morning and, sure enough, when I left
Miley's office the kite was hunting over the grasses. A Northern Harrier and
an  American Kestrel were also present. There was no interaction among them,
for a  change.

Over at Long Beach in Stratford, there were 2 Nelson's Sparrows and a
Saltmarsh Sparrow in the spartina on the marsh side beyond the end of  the
parking lot. The path out there is blocked due to cottage removal  operations,
but I just walked to the marsh side from the main parking lot and  then went
down the edge of the marsh side, somewhat out of sight.  A  Yellow-crowned
Night Heron was also still in the marsh and was visible from the  road before
you reach the entrance booth to Long Beach on Oak Bluff Avenue.

Over on the RR track trail, near the end of Long Beach Boulevard,  a
Pectoral Sandpiper was standing right in the middle of the trail.  This  bird
seemed very tame, allowing me to walk up the path to within about 20' of it
before it flew just a short distance and then walked back past me on the old RR
 tracks themselves. Among the sparrow species on the RR track trail, there
were 2  White-crowned Sparrows and a Field Sparrow.

Charlie Barnard Jr.
Stratford