[CT Birds] Stratford WHITE-TAILED KITE, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 6 20:35:49 EDT 2010

10/6 Stratford  - I birded around town today, tallying 74 species. Highlights
were:

Short Beach Park (Dorne Dr.), 11:20-12:15 - WHITE-TAILED KITE continues (perched
in a tree & preening at least 10 minutes then took flight generally south
towards Stratford Point), Merlin, AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, 86 Black-bellied
Plovers, 2 Red Knots, 400 Sanderlings, 3 juv. BLACK SKIMMERS, estimated 1100
Tree Swallows (foraging over old landfill).

Cove Place, Sound-watch, 8:30-9:50 - Not too much migrating, but did have 1
Great Cormorant (my first of season), 1 Common Loon, 15 Brant, 2 Surf Scoters,
Peregrine Falcon, Cooper's Hawk, and a late Common Tern.

Stratford Point (Prospect Dr.) , 10 - 11:10am , in part with Twan Leenders -
Marsh Wren (unusual there), Bobolink, 300 Tree Swallows.  Also a large shorebird
with a white rump (possibly a Hudsonian Godwit) that flew north upriver towards
the Milford Point sandbars.

McKinney Refuge (Long Beach Blvd) 1:20-2:10 - 2 Yellow-crowned Night-Herons,
Brown Creeper.

Boothe Memorial Park, 4:30-5:30 - 2 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers.

Community Garden (Connors Ln), 5:40-6:00 - 2 LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, lots (130) of
usual sparrows, 30 Monk Parakeets.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford