[CT Birds] Oct/Nov Birding Programs at Milford Point

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Fri Oct 8 11:40:57 EDT 2010

Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center Programs

Big Sit! Fundraiser
Sunday, Oct 10
This year our Connecticut “Big Sit!” champion team, the B.W. Surf Scopers, (Jim Dugan, Patrick Dugan, Frank Gallo, Tina Green, and Frank Mantlik) will defend, and attempt to break, their own Connecticut “Big Sit!” birding record--101 species seen from within a 17-foot circle. This international event, created by New Haven Bird Club, and sponsored by Bird Watchers Digest, will be held this Sunday, October 10, 2010, with teams competing worldwide. Our goal is to spot as many different species of birds as possible without leaving our seats!

We need your help to make this event the best yet – support our record-breaking quest and the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center with a pledge.  Every dollar you pledge will go directly to support the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point – truly one of the best birding destinations in the Northeast!  Your donation is 100% tax deductible; the money is used to support our conservation and education efforts. Please visit our webpage at www.ctaudubon.org for a pledge form, or contact us at 203-878-7440 x 502.  We appreciate your generous support. Thank you! Frank Gallo, Director

Ps. Stay tuned; we’ll post the results on our blog at ctaudubon.blogspot.com, and special thanks to those who have already contributed!

Birding for Beginners
Tues., Oct. 12, 7–9 p.m. (classroom)
Sat., Oct. 16, 9-11:30 a.m. (field trip)
Learn the basics for identifying birds on your own! During this fun and comprehensive hands-on course, longtime instructor and expert birder Frank Gallo will teach you ID skills as well as how to choose and use field guides and binoculars, and where to find birds locally. The course culminates with a field trip to a local birding "hot spot". No experience is necessary. Bring the "Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds." (Field guides are available for sale at the Coastal Center.) Meet at the Center at Milford Point. Fee: $75/person. Call Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502 to register.
Birding 101
2 Thursdays, Oct. 21 and 28, 7- 9 p.m. (classroom)
Sat. Oct. 30, 9 a.m. - noon (field trip)
Discover bird watching with naturalist Frank Gallo; Frank leads bird tours worldwide, is a member of Connecticut’s Avian Rare Records Committee and a past president of the New Haven Bird Club. His enthusiastic hands-on style quickly teaches you the basics of identifying birds using field guides and observational skills. The course culminates with a field trip to find birds at a local birding hot spot. Bring the "Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds." (Field guides also for sale at the Center.)  Meet at the Center. Fee: $105/person.  The class meets at the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point.  Call Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502 to register.

Autumn Owl Prowl, Fri., Nov. 5, 7:15– 9:15 p.m.
When the sun retreats, owls awaken to go in search of prey. Some say that owls are wise, others that they sparked legends of ghosts. Whatever the truth, a night near All Hallows Eve is a fine time to uncover the mysteries of these amazing nocturnal hunters. We’ll learn about a few of the species that co-exist in our area, and then carpool to a local park to try to call one in. It’s a hoot! Fee: $35/person. Call Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502 to register.