[CT Birds] Southport Survey #241

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Fri Oct 8 16:16:33 EDT 2010

The tide was just past low and rising. Sunken Island was still mostly
exposed. The water was calm with a strong north wind and a clear sky.
The day had the feel of late fall as opposed to late summer. We
shouldn’t expect to see large flocks of cormorants or laughing gulls
anymore. The  egrets are starting to thin out as well. Off shore
instead of flocks of cormorants there were 2 flocks of Canada Geese
heading west. The main interest was the number of hawks. On Sunken
Island there were 2 Peregrine Falcons taking a rest. The Osprey and
most of the Harriers were well out in the sound close to the water
heading west. The Kestrels were hugging the shore. The only shorebird
was a high flying Greater Yellowlegs. The 4 Black Ducks were also on
the fly by but to the east. It is hard to believe I saw more Harriers
than Black Ducks. The rest of the survey was rather uneventful.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	9/19	9/24	9/29	10/8
Tide	High	Low 	Low 	Low-R