[CT Birds] warbler plants

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Fri Oct 8 17:04:18 EDT 2010

Today on Sand Bank Road in Watertown I had a Nashville Warbler and 2 Lincoln's Sparrows. The Nashville was in a stand of scrubby willows. I've noted over the years that late in the fall warbler migration, when Yellow-rumpeds and Palms predominate, willows, especially scrubby native species, and ornamental birches are often good places to find other warbler species. Apparently both types of plants harbor small insects in various forms late in the season, but while the leaves are still present. In the birches especially, warblers can be working through the leaves intently and easily overlooked. These kinds of birches can often be found in parks, cemeteries etc. The willows are often around the edges of wetlands.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury