[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Today and HawkWatch Festival

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Fri Oct 8 18:59:33 EDT 2010

 Hi All,

A nice day at Quaker despite the clear blue skies. 237 hawks in total including the stunning Golden Eagle. The bird itself was interesting in that it showed some white in the base of the primaries on the upper wing as well as in the lower wing - a feature I have only noted illustrated in Ligouori's Hawks From Every Angle (a book definitely worth adding to the library if you don't own it in my humble opinion) and not in the field before on any individuals I have encountered (at least not knowingly). Plenty of other birds including 350 warblers in morning flight, scads of Purple Finches, Many RB Nuts, YB Sapsuckers and talking of Chimney Swifts there were 3 at Quaker this morning.

 Weather is set fair for perfect flight conditions at the HawkWatch Festival tomorrow http://greenwich.audubon.org/PDFs/Fall2010-Calendar-AudubonGreenwich.pdf I'll be kicking proceedings off with a walk at 7:30am and then doing a few hawkwatching for beginners talks over the weekend. I hope to see some of you there - it should be a great event. Personally I am hoping we can break the Connecticut Hawkwatch Bald Eagle record during the festival (only 9 to go and still over a month of watching to come), so fingers crossed.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich