[CT Birds] Fairfield, Sherman Marsh, etc.

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Sat Oct 9 11:42:15 EDT 2010

As explained before, "Sherman" is the Sherman School and the Town Hall
Property, the marsh in between and the Old Burying Ground. I call it
Sherman after the name of the school, although it could be confused
with the town Sherman, CT. I think I'll have to come up with a better

There was a good influx of later fall migrants here this morning,
although, because of soccer games happening on both sides, I was
unable to bird the entire Sherman area. My list of highlights and
migrants is below.

Sherman Highlights/Migrants:

1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker-Trees in between town soccer fields and
school path
2 Northern Flicker-10/8
1 Eastern Phoebe-Fairfield Museum spring area
3 Blue Jay
3 Carolina Wren
8 Ruby-crowned Kinglets-Fairfield Museum spring area
4 American Robins
3 Gray Catbirds-behind Old Burying Ground
1 Magnolia Warbler-Fairfield Museum spring area
7 Yellow-rumped Warbler
1 Palm Warbler-Old Burying Ground
1 Blackpoll Warbler-Trees in between town soccer fields and school path
5 Common Yellowthroat
15-20 Song Sparrow
3 Swamp Sparrow
4 Savannah Sparrow
4 White-throated Sparrow

My biggest highlight was probably the 5 warbler species I had, plus a
possible 6th species the flew by too quick.

Alex Burdo