[CT Birds] good migrants today

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 9 18:09:27 EDT 2010

Lots of action passing through yard here in Hawinton at 5:00. Birds were
everywhere, esp in treetops, and i only could guess at the species and numbers
that passed through.
Of what I did see in species for the 15 mins of passing through........

many, many Yellow-rumped Warbler
6 plus Blackpoll
2 GT Green
1 Bay breasted - late?
many Golden c Kinglet
1 Ruby c Kinglet
2 Red-breasted Nuthatch - prob many more
3 Blue headed Vireo - prob more

Lower in trees or on ground near pond:
Lots of Kinglet
Lots of Yellow rumps
2 Palm
2 Hermit thrush
1 Waterthrush - sp ?
6 Purple Finch, prob more
5 White-throated Sparrow
7 Junco
Gobs of Goldfinch
Gobs of Chickadees - possibly many of them migrants?
and lots of other common stuff.

A comment: I live at the top of a Mt at 1,000 + feet. For many years in the
fall,  I have noticed much movement of birds that are migrating late in the day
in yard. I believe these birds follow the setting sun UP the Mt within the
sunlit tree tops to find their last food for the day. It affords them the last
light of the day and possibly the warmer temps the sun produces that might keep
insects still moving about. I have never read anything about this of migrating
birds, but wonder if anyone else might have?

Paul Carrier