[CT Birds] FW: BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER, Westbrook

Scholten, Andrew L ascholten at assumption.edu
Sun Oct 10 16:47:27 EDT 2010

I was walking along Seaside Ave. in Westbrook yesterday around 5:30 in the afternoon.  There was a bird on the osprey platform with a yellow-buff breast, and my initial ID was Eastern Meadowlark.  However, upon closer inspection, I saw that the bird had yellow legs and was feeding on bugs on the platform.  It was then that I knew I had a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER.  It must have seen the grass on the osprey platform and thought it was a field.
  Here is my full list for the evening:
  Location: Seaside Ave. and Menunketesuck Island (McKinney NWR,) Westbrook
  Date: Saturday, October 9th

Mallard (6)
Black-bellied Plover (4,possibly more)
peep sp.
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER (1, opsrey platform, Seaside Avenue.  The bird was feeding on bugs in the grassy growth on the platform.)
Ruddy Turnstone (2)
American Oystercatcher (2)
Herring Gull (X)
Ring-billed Gull (X)
Great Black-backed Gull (X)

Good birding,
Andrew Scholten, Westbrook (and Sudbury, MA)