[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge Bald Eagle Record Broken

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sun Oct 10 22:00:42 EDT 2010

Hi All,

Another fun if slightly less hawk filled day at the Quaker Ridge HawkWatchFestival. The all important 3rd and 4th Bald Eagles for the day appeared latein the day allowing us to break the record count for Bald Eagles at aConnecticut Hawkwatch which previously stood at 176 birds (a 5th on the day put us up to178 on the year) - even more impressive we did it with 40 days counting to go. It’sreally something of a privilege to be able to witness this environmentalsuccess story in action. Thanks to everyone who has been down to Quaker and helped spotand count birds through the season so far, all your help has been greatlyappreciated.

On the deck there were still plenty of birds to enjoy late afternoon including a few additions tothe passerine list I posted earlier including 1 Swainson's Thrush, 4 White-crowned Sparrowsand another couple of Lincoln's.Red-breasted Nuthatches and Purple Finches have settled in nicely at the feeders aswell.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich