[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Anther good migrant day

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Mon Oct 11 13:23:51 EDT 2010

 Hi All,

The Dickcissel was only seen briefly around the hawkwatch field before I had to start work - the good news it was in with the large HOSP flock - the bad news it was in the large HOSP flock making it tough to relocate - even though it was a fairly bright individual. Numerous WC and Lincoln's Sparrow's, Purple Finches, RB Nuts and other expected species like Brown Creeper, YB Sapsucker. Highlight though most probably for me was the Gray-cheeked Thrush as Dickcissel has always been so easy to get at Allen's in previous falls. Much less diversity and numbers of warblers today but a male BT Blue was nice (apart from that only one BT Green amongst Rumps, Palms and Yellowthroats).

The storm that passed through Greenwich this spring that caused so much damage has really opened up some of the habitat at Quaker Ridge and makes it much more promising for sparrows than last year it seems.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich