[CT Birds] Meriden and Wallingford

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 11 19:17:10 EDT 2010

>From Jamie Meyers:
10/11 -- Meriden, Bishop's Pond -- first year COMMON MOORHEN on east side around 5:50 PM.  At least one female NORTHERN PINTAIL in the raft of ducks on the west side.
Wallingford, MacKenzie Reservoir -- around 8 NORTHERN PINTAILS (all females), around 5:30 PM.  No unusual geese, but most of them were flying off at this point.

I don't know if previous posts noted that the moorhen is a young bird, so I thought it bore note to mention that.  I arrived at the pond around 5 and there was another birder who briefly spotted it on the south side of the east pond going into some phrags.  We both looked for it for awhile but it didn't come back out.  I went to the reservoir in Wallingford and returned later and it was right out in the middle of the pond, loosely feeding with some Mallards and wigeons.  I then spent about five minutes quickly scanning the west side ducks in somewhat diminishing light and when I went back for another look the moorhen was not to be seen.  So I would say this bird comes and goes a bit and isn't always readily visible.

I expected more goose action on MacKenzie and figured they might be roosting there, but apparently not as there were groups of them leaving throughout my brief stay.  They were heading mostly south towards North Branford, and I could hear gunfire in that general direction.  The pintails were all in a muddy spot just across the way from the pulloff area with some teal.  All females -- a true hen party!

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT