[CT Birds] WT Kite possibly departed

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Tue Oct 12 11:27:56 EDT 2010

The increasingly collective thought now is that the White-tailed Kite may have departed Stratford on Saturday. There have been no 100% reliable reports of it since then. It was seen during the very early morning only by those at Stratford Point for the BioBlitz, including Dr. Twan Leenders. The molt has been complete for some time now. The temperatures have been dropping quite a bit. It felt some 40 degree lows in the past week. I mentioned to a few people last week that it looked quite unhappy sitting in its tree in the cold rain. People who have a tremendous amount of experience with it have not seen it repeatedly during times one would expect. The kite is (or was) a very conspicuous bird. There is a chance it is feeding in a nearby area, or somehow eluding everyone, but it seems more and more likely that it has left us after 70 days. It has occasionally been MIA for a period of time, but nothing more than 36 hours, and even then, we usually had a glimpse of it somewhere nearby. If it is seen, I will update this status ASAP. Be on the lookout to our south. I hope it will be picked up somewhere else. Please feel free to forward this message to other regional birding lists down the coast.

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society
2325 Burr St.