[CT Birds] Boston Hollow, Ashford, and vicinity, 10-12-10

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Oct 13 06:52:56 EDT 2010

I haven't spent much time at Boston Hollow this fall, but I  found some
nice little mixed flocks yesterday, and a bird I have been looking  for there
all year.

1 Blue-headed Vireo, probably the latest I have  seen
4 Palm Warblers
12 (or more) Yellow-rumped Warblers
2 Pine Warblers
1 very late Yellow Warbler (near B H on rt  89)
At least 20 Dark-eyed Juncos, first I have seen this year. 1st  one I saw
was a beautiful male, almost jet black. About 300 yards from the spot  I
recorded my "mystery bird" last July, so I'm wondering.  One flock of 15
(counted) probably more. Several others in small groups.
6 Savannah Sparrows
15 White-throated Sparrows
1 Swamp Sparrow
Chipping Sparrows
Song Sparrows
At least 7 Golden-crowned Kinglets
2 Ruby-crowned Kinglets
On the way out a large black bird flew up the road in front of  me, and I
thought it was a crow - until i saw large white flashes on the wings.  It
landed on a tree on the opposite side of the road and I skidded to a stop in
time to get a 5 second look at a gorgeous male Pileated Woodpecker. I have
looked for them all year, and heard several, but it was the first one I have
ever seen there. Great way to end the day.
Still lots of BJs, Chickadees, Titmice

Don Morgan,  Coventry

http://birdingnect.blogspot.com/

"Think, every morning when the sun peeps through
The dim, leaf-latticed windows of the grove,
How jubilant the happy birds renew
Their old, melodious madrigals of love!"
H.W.  Longfellow