[CT Birds] link for wt kite in economist

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 13 10:09:03 EDT 2010

If anyone is interested, here is the link to the kite article in the current issue of the Economist (mentioned a couple of days ago, but I think without the link):

I'd add that the Economist has some of the very best reporting on climate change in the media.  That said, linking the kite's occurrence to climate warming is quite a stretch.  The evidence that bird (and other organism) range shifts are responding to warming is overwhelming at this point, but one lost bird does not make a range shift and the suggestion that it does (even though indirect and perhaps not even 100% intentional) is akin to claiming that Hurricane Katrina was due to climate change.

Incidentally, the Economist does have pretty good ornithological reporting from time to time ..... and it's hard to beat a publication that would open a series of articles on forests by referring to the "tautologous curve-billed scythebill" as they did a couple of weeks ago!.

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net