[CT Birds] The kite and thanks to CAS staff

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Fri Oct 15 10:03:51 EDT 2010

The White-tailed Kite, first spotted by Dennis Varza way back on  August 1,
gave many birders and photographers a great experience for such a long
time.  On August 1, after seeing Dennis' post about the sighting, I hurried
down to Stratford Point and met Scott Kruitbosch, who arrived only a minute or
 two after I did in search of the bird.  We stood there for a  minute
watching it fly back and forth across the grass as it  hunted, until I told Scott
to grab his camera and take verification photos in  case the bird left
within a few minutes, never to be seen again.  Little  did we know....For more
than 2 months the kite fascinated many hundreds (if not  more than 1000
birders) from a wide area. Wherever it has gone, I wish the  bird a good journey.

Scott, Twan Leenders and Miley Bull all deserve thanks for all  the extra
effort which they put into accommodating so many people, as well as  making
decisions for the kite's benefit.  Scott, in particular, gave up a  lot of
his own time to go down to open the gate to Stratford Point early in  the
morning and again in the evening for many weeks. In addition, he frequently  was
there to open the gate on weekends, when it is normally closed.  This  was
in addition to doing his usual surveys and maintaining a  full course
schedule at college - including having to deal with a  calculus class as part of
his academics.

So, once again: may the kite live a long and good life and thanks to all
the CAS guys at Stratford Point.

Charlie Barnard Jr.
Stratford, CT