[CT Birds] Boothe Park HW 130 raptors

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Sat Oct 16 16:31:01 EDT 2010

Today's Boothe Park Hawk Watch started and ended early (due to the Great Pumpkin Festival and the Yankees) and amounted to 6.5 hours of observation. I was there all 6.5 hours, most of the time with Charlie Barnard and some with Bill Banks. The brutal NW winds obviously kept the raptors low and towards the coast, which makes it tough for our site. Nevertheless, we had a good variety, as always, and some nice views. Tomorrow and Monday should be decent days as well with a lot of passerine migration tonight.

Raptor migrants:
27 Turkey Vulture
6 Osprey
7 Bald Eagle
74 Sharp-shinned Hawk
3 Cooper's Hawk
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
8 American Kestrel
1 Merlin
2 Unknown raptor
TOTAL - 130

And a seemingly endless supply of "local" Red-tails, some Turkey Vulture, and a Red-shoulder.

Other migrants:
167 Canada Goose
3 probable Green-winged Teal
3 Common Loon