[CT Birds] Chester, 10/16: osprey (and ovenbird in NYC)

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun Oct 17 19:44:41 EDT 2010

Chester, 10/16 (a day late): an OSPREY flew across 148, at Cedar Lake - treetop level, well-lit, and unmistakable. I don't think I've ever seen one this late in the season. I know there have been ospreys visiting the lake regularly for the past few years, and I actually counted a pair during last year's Great Backyard Bird Count in February. Have there been any records of osprey wintering over this far north?
And speaking of irregularities, although this is not Connecticut-based: my parents took a bus trip to NYC yesterday (also 10/16). As they were sitting on a bench in the Lincoln Center plaza, an OVENBIRD walked over to them and moused around at their feet. (They described it to me: olive/tawny, speckled breast like a thrush, bigger than a wren, and with two black stripes on the head. When I showed them an ovenbird photo, they confirmed it.) How's that for erratic? It must've been blown a bit off-course (the other way to get to Lincoln Center), and probably finds some good eats under the benches.
- Tammy Eustis, Chester