[CT Birds] Boothe Park HW 115 raptors with SE Owl/Vesper

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Mon Oct 18 18:38:39 EDT 2010

The highlight of the Boothe Park Hawk Watch in Stratford came around 8:25. As previously emailed, I had a SHORT-EARED OWL float through at a mid-level from the east. It went directly over me and continued southwest as a migrant. I have seen the species innumerable times in Great Meadows and at Stratford Point, but this was special. That is one HMANA entry I doubt I will be making again for a decade or two, if ever. There were plenty of other good passerines around, and in the 6 hours that I and Charlie Barnard watched the skies we had 115 raptors. The passerine highlight was a VESPER SPARROW, the second in about 24 hours for me. I found it while moving about our site after it popped up from some grass behind the chicken coop and went to a tree.

Raptor migrants:
4 BLACK VULTURE
32 Turkey Vulture
1 Osprey