[CT Birds] Yellow rumps in Stonington

mjdoherty15 at comcast.net mjdoherty15 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 19 23:55:23 EDT 2010

For a few days my Stonington yard has been invaded by large numbers of yellow rumped warblers. They are everywhere and are especially active throughout the warmest part of the day when there are lots of insects about. This is probably due to the years of benign neglect since no insecticide has been used for a very long time despite the loss of several fruit trees to insect damage. I am happy with the trade-off.

There have also been palm warblers, golden crowned kinglets, red-breasted nuthatch, white-breasted nuthatch, Carolina wren, mocking birds, chipping sparrows (many), song sparrow, juncos, Cooper's hawk, and all the other usual suspects.