[CT Birds] Sanctuary update -- WTSP today

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Wed Oct 20 20:33:18 EDT 2010

CT Birders -

 Today's highlight was a WHITE - CROWNED SPARROW who spent much of the day below the feeder or at the waterfall. Other notable birds observed includes --

PURPLE FINCH
RED- BREASTED NUTHATCH
CEDAR WAXWING
EASTERN PHOEBE
YELLOW- RUMPED WARBLER
AMERICAN ROBIN
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD
COMMON GRACKLE

Sunday I arrived home after being out of town for a few days to find an immature SHARP- SHINNED HAWK in distress. The bird was flying very low and slow, easily approachable, and was very unsteady on it's feet. I netted the bird easily and discovered it to be almost half it's normal body weight. The bird died before I could get it to a raptor person. Teresa Kramer( Canton Raptor Care) will take the carcass to possibly determine the cause of the emaciation.  It certainly was not a lack of available food at the sanctuary! The bird may of had a disease process occurring or maybe an eye issue impairing it's ability to hunt.

One of the tinier predators has been making itself known lately as well at the sanctuary. The EASTERN SCREECH OWL has been very vocal recently and I have to share what happened one of the nights. I was in that kind of asleep but kind of still aware state you get in before deep sleep and I thought I was hearing a horse whinny. I said to my husband do you hear that horse? He was watching TV so turned off the volume and then we both could clearly hear the screech owl who in my dazed state thought I was hearing a horse!  :))))))))) Too funny! I used to own horses maybe that's where it came from!

Off to New Mexico tomorrow to teach at a conference, hoping to get in some birding and tick some birds off my life list while there!

--
Jayne

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT