[CT Birds] Fall Foliage Canoe Tour & Owl Prowl at Coastal Center

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 10:12:08 EDT 2010

Hi All,

We hope you can join us! This is the final canoe tour through the Wheeler Marsh before we put the canoes to bed for the winter. It should be an exciting trip; new duck species are arriving daily...and both night-herons are still around. We also have a chance for Nelson's and Saltmarsh Sparrow... It's our latest trip to date, so we're anticipating some surprises...  Don't miss out.  Please call 203-878-7440 x 502 to register soon. See you Sunday.  Frank Gallo

Family Canoe Tours of Wheeler Salt Marsh with CAS Naturalist: Only 1 Trip Remains!
Sun., Oct. 24, 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m.  Join us on a guided canoe tour of the 840-acre Charles Wheeler Salt Marsh. This is our special "Fall Foliage Tour" and the last canoe trip of the season! The marsh is steeped in local history and offers an abundance of birds, other wildlife, beautiful vistas and a chance to paddle and relax. Bring water, a snack, and wear shoes that can get wet. Trip route is subject to change due to weather. Wind may cause trip to be canceled, even on sunny days; please call 60- 90 minutes in advance for trip status. Advance registration required.
Fees using our canoes: CAS Members: $25/person, $65/canoe (up to 3 people); Non-members: $35/person, $95/canoe.
Fees using your own canoe or kayak: $19 CAS Members, $29 Non-members.

Autumn Owl Prowl
Fri., Nov. 5, 7:15- 9:15 p.m.
When the sun retreats, owls awaken to go in search of prey. Some say that owls are wise, others that they sparked legends of ghosts. Whatever the truth, a night near All Hallows Eve is a fine time to uncover the mysteries of these amazing nocturnal hunters. We’ll learn about a few of the species that co-exist in our area, and then carpool to a local park to try to call one in. It’s a hoot! Fee: $35/person.

A Second Chance Tag Sale
Sat., Nov. 6, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Help to recycle by finding new homes for your unwanted, gently used household items! Anyone wishing to donate items should contact the Coastal Center at 203-878-7440. All items must be delivered to the Center undamaged, clean and in good working order. All proceeds will benefit environmental education programs at the Coastal Center.