[CT Birds] Southport Survey #242

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Oct 21 14:34:36 EDT 2010

Southport Survey # 242

The tide was high with swells and white caps off shore. There was a
strong wind from the west and the sky overcast. Off shore, there was
a scattering of Laughing Gulls about. Otherwise a small group of
Brant flew by close to shore, and a fly by Red-throated Loon. I
expected a large number gulls to be sitting on the beaches but that
was not the case. I suspect it was because the beaches were facing
the wind. Puddle ducks continue to be scarce. Another speculation:
The Mute Swans normally in the area are now up at Aspetuck Reservoir
accounting for the increase up there.

Dennis Varza

DATE	9/24	9/29	10/8	10/21
Tide	Low 	Low 	Low-R	High
Time	7:10	7:30	7:20	9:30

Brant	0_0_ 0_36
Canada Goose	0_0_63_24
Mute Swan	1_3_0_0
American Black Duck	2_0_4_0
Mallard	20_10_12_2
Double-crested Cormorant	37_74_53_44
Great Blue Heron	2_1_1_1
Great Egret	5_8_2_0
Snowy Egret	1_3_0_0
Killdeer	16_4_0_0
Semipalmated Plover	0_5_0_0
American Oystercatcher	6_1_0_0
Sanderling	8_3_0_0
Greater Yellowelgs	0_0_1_0
Laughing Gull	18_12_1_15
Laughing Gull Im	1_0_1_0
Ring-billed Gull Ad.	50_56_59_41
Ring-billed Gull Im.	1_2_4_5
Herring Gull Ad.   	65_84_95_35
Herring Gull Im.   	6_4_4_5
Great Black-backed Gull Ad.	7_11_6_3
Great Black-backed Gull Im.	1_0_0_2
Common Tern	16_0_0_0

Other Birds
The Adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was seen in Sherwood Island.