[CT Birds] White-tailed Kite update

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Fri Oct 22 13:47:34 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Seeing the listing of the White-tailed Kite reminded me to post about the confusion over which day it was seen. The BigSit! Team at Milford Point did see the bird on Sunday morning early as originally reported. The kite was first seen while it was sitting by Stratford Point a little after first light, before it flew in, hovered briefly, then disappeared behind the trees and building. We did not see again.  Apparently, it was seen the day before at exactly the same time we saw it; it was seen briefly, and then also disappeared.

Given the rarity of WT Kites in the east, it's a good bet that NJ is enjoying "our" kite.  It was a good run! 71 days by my count. A brief accounting of our big Big Sit!, with photos of the gang, is now on our Connecticut Audubon  blog at http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/  It looks like we're #3 in U.S.  Thanks to the many generous folks who contributed for supporting the team and the education initiatives at the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point. Enjoy. Frank Gallo