[CT Birds] Mondo Pond

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Sat Oct 23 12:31:41 EDT 2010

We've been doing classes at Mondo pond this past week. On Saturday, 10/16 there were at least 38 Yellowlegs (18 definitely Greater), and 4 Dowitchers on the Islands in the pond. Tuesday, 10/19 there was a male Black-throated Blue Warbler in the forest, and 68 Yellowlegs, all greater, as far as I could tell without a scope, sitting on the islands in the pond. On 10/22, there were 79 Yellowlegs, with two possible Lessers. It's amazing how many shorebirds roost at this pond on a regular basis.  I not sure I've seen 79 Yellowlegs at the Coastal Center. A Purple Finch also flew over Mondo Pond yesterday.   Frank Gallo