[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge Hawks

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Oct 23 19:30:56 EDT 2010

 Hi All,

Well my clairvoyance skills need some work, no Golden today but I am at least apportioning some of the blame on the completely duff weather forecast. Still we did manage to rack up another Northern Goshawk sighting amongst 190 migrant raptors. I am starting to suspect that we may have a bird hanging around locally though - unless this is an irruptive year limited only to Fairfield County ;)

After today we are now up to 198 on the Bald Eagle count. Really quite astonishing numbers, just 25 years ago when the site went full time we managed a total of nine on the season and this year we have topped that annual total on four different days alone including the incredible record of 30 on September 15th. It's nice to have an environmental success story once in a while. Last night I watched the movie Ghost Bird here at Audubon Greenwich - a sad reminder of what happens when we don't act fast enough to help birds in trouble.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich