[CT Birds] Killingworth backyard sunday

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sun Oct 24 14:38:49 EDT 2010

Excellent morning in my backyard woods. Started off with the resident red shouldered hawk pair and a few ravens. Saw a rather large mixed flock of bluebirds and cedar waxwings heading southwest together...I have never seen these two species associating together in a flock before. Also saw a small flock of chipping sparrows with a few other unidentified sparrows in the flock. Other species included yellow  rumped warbler, purple finches, pine warblers, golden crowned kinglets, a few redstart and two worm eating warbler. I was happy to see the redstart and w e warblers...I haven't seen those two species since august.

Woodpeckers included the usual species: downy  and hairy, red bellied, the resident pileated  pair, and a yellow bellied sapsucker. One great horned owl roosting in a large pine tree..

Keith mueller  killingworth